I’m always looking for ways to encourage the kids to eat healthy, so I was happy to learn that Produce for Kids is launching its annual Get Healthy, Give Hope campaign with major supermarket chains across the country, including one of my favorite local grocery stores, GIANT (aka Martin’s in some areas), to help raise money for Our Family Foundation.
Through August 10th, the more produce we shoppers add to our shopping lists, the more hope we can give to local children. All participating fresh fruit and vegetable suppliers at the stores will make a consumption-based donation to Our Family Foundation which awarded donations totaling $11.6 million in 2012 to organizations in local communities with a mission of fighting hunger, improving the lives of children and building healthy communities.
To learn more about the campaign, shoppers can visit the Produce for Kids in-store display which features easy to prepare recipes, helpful materials with additional information on the campaign, and links to visit more than 90 easy Ideal Meals® online.
The display also features characters from the popular Sprout® health-focused children’s series “LazyTown™” and “The Chica Show,” along with tips on healthy eating for kids – since both my kids adore the shows on Sprout, it was fun to see them get interested in the campaign because of the familiarity with some of their favorite characters.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 bananas, peeled, chopped
- 3 cups lowfat yogurt
- 1 cup pineapple, cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup caramel dip
- Place bananas in freezer bag and freeze overnight.
- Blend bananas, yogurt, and pineapple in blender until thick and smooth
- Portion and freeze for 25 minutes.
- Drizzle with caramel dip and serve!
Smoothie Pops & Super Cereal Mix
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 large peach or mango, peeled, chopped
- 1 large nectarine, peeled, chopped
- 2 medium bananas, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, leaves hulled
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup orange or fruit juice
- 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 16 paper cups
- Place all smoothie ingredients in a blender and blend until just smooth.
- Place 16 paper cups on a baking tray. Pour smoothie into paper cups. Place tray in freezer and freeze until slushy, about 20 minutes.
- Remove tray from freezer and insert one popsicle stick into the center of each cup. Return to freezer and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Tear away paper cup and place on plate.
- 1 cup toasted oat rings cereal
- 1 cup round corn puffs cereal
- 1/2 cup round colored corn puffs cereal
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts
- Combine all cereal mix ingredients in a large bowl.
Super Green Smoothie
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups 1%milk
- 1 banana, peeled, cut in half
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled
- 1 cup spinach, gently packed
- 1 cup green apple, cored, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Blend milk, banana, avocado, spinach, apple, flax seed and honey in blender until smooth.
What’s your favorite fruit or vegetable?
Note: I received a goody bag to facilitate this review. No monetary compensation was received implied or otherwise. As always, the opinions are my own and not influenced by outside sources. See my disclosure policy here.