Hatching Spring

by Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) on May 14, 2013 · 36 comments

You know spring truly has sprung when baby birds hatch.  Princess Nagger was excited to show me her discovery of a nest in our Back 40 in my old greenhouse that still needs serious repair work.  The missing panel and remaining shelf was the perfect set up for a mama bird to make her nest:

BirdsNest

Ahhhhh!  That’s where my missing cookie sheet ended up.   We moved in a little closer, hoping to catch a peek at the sleeping chicks:

BirdsNest2

See the fuzz?  Fairly recently hatched, they were napping peacefully.

Oh look!  One’s starting to peek its head up:

BirdsNest4

False alarm, he poked his head up looking for food, then immediately went back to napping with his siblings:

BirdsNest5

Scrawny little things, aren’t they?  I stepped back again (I didn’t want to chance the mama bird returning then rejecting her babies because of my penchant for picture taking).

I stood at a distance with my lens trained and waited.  And waited.  And waited some more.

I finally saw some movement and started snapping like a crazy person, but my patience (and crazy) paid off as one of the babies raised their head for a couple of seconds looking for the mama bird:

BirdsNest6

Since time flies by way too fast, before you know it they’ll be flying like a bird from their nest.  I’ll have to get some follow up pics to share as they grow before it’s too late.

Do you have any bird nests in your yard this year?

Signature

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets — Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!

For those that have problems linking up with the thumbnail linky, here’s a regular link linky for your convenience:

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets — Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!

Live and Love...Out Loud Wordless WednesdaysA Renaissance WomanSshWWButtonWordless Wednesday Hop

Related Posts with Thumbnails Tags: , , , , , , ,

1 Theresa May 14, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Awwww! That is so cute! I just saw a birds nest in my tree out front, but it’s a tad too high to peek into.
Theresa would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday~ Play Ball!My Profile

2 Sarah Halstead ( May 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Awww. So precious. Great shots.

3 Alissa Apel May 14, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I love the signs of a new life! So sweet!
Alissa Apel would like you to read…WW: A Box Apartment {Linky}My Profile

4 Danielle Royalegacy May 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Aren’t you lucky! I haven’t seen any nest around yet, but I know they are around.
Danielle Royalegacy would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday with Linky – Hint of a Desert Storm – May 15, 2013My Profile

5 Stacey at RealWorldMom *LINKY* May 14, 2013 at 11:12 pm

How precious! Certainly not something I get to see very often, so thank you for sharing!

Happy WW!
Stacey at RealWorldMom *LINKY* would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday- InkedMatch.com Went to New York Tech Day 2013My Profile

6 Sheryl May 14, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Your patience paid off. What a great shot!
Sheryl would like you to read…Leonardo da Vinci Lesson PlansMy Profile

7 Lisa Newlin May 15, 2013 at 12:00 am

I think I officially qualify as an adult because I got a little teary eyed when I saw the little bird at the end with his/her beak open. Nature really is super cool.

I totally sound like my dad. I guess there are worse things in life, right? :-)
Lisa Newlin would like you to read…Brittle bones and a 75 year-old pimpMy Profile

8 @PamelaMKramer - A Renaissance Woman May 15, 2013 at 3:40 am

Whoa!!!! that is so cool that you captured those shots. I love it.
@PamelaMKramer – A Renaissance Woman would like you to read…The New YouTube One Channel Art and FeaturesMy Profile

9 Naila Moon May 15, 2013 at 3:58 am

Love the little birdies. Great shots!I put the correct link to my photo this week but wrong caption. Oh well. LOL~Naila Moon
Naila Moon would like you to read…Wordless Wed….sort of. May 15, 2012My Profile

10 Dominique Goh May 15, 2013 at 5:12 am

We don’t have a yard so no bird nest for us.. yours looks so pretty.
Dominique Goh would like you to read…Schwinn Windwood Women’s Cruiser Bike Giveaway-(US) ends 30th MayMy Profile

11 Charlotte May 15, 2013 at 5:17 am

Amazing photos! Will be lovely to watch their progress! x x
Charlotte would like you to read…Fun Photo Fun -BubblesMy Profile

12 EdT. May 15, 2013 at 6:27 am

So, are you going to retrieve the cookie sheet once they leave the nest? :-)

Happy WW!
EdT. would like you to read…(A)WW: Through the Eye of a FishMy Profile

13 Robin (Masshole Mommy) May 15, 2013 at 6:37 am

Oh man, how flippin’ cute!!
Robin (Masshole Mommy) would like you to read…Ponch or John?My Profile

14 Beth F May 15, 2013 at 6:45 am

How great that you can watch them grow.
Beth F would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday 237My Profile

15 Rebecca Jo May 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

Oh my word…those babies are freshly hatched, aren’t they????

So precious!!!!

Did you feel like you were sitting in a jungle waiting for the right moment? Animal photography… patience is involved :)
Rebecca Jo would like you to read…HodgepodgeMy Profile

16 Erika May 15, 2013 at 9:06 am

Oh how cute! There’s been lots of little birds nesting around here too, but I’ve not been able to peek into any to watch their progress, you a re so lucky!
Erika would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday 2013 #20 – MonksMy Profile

17 Jan's Sushi Bar May 15, 2013 at 9:29 am

We had the unfortunate experience this year of having something happen to a Mama Bird, which left her babies alone and defenseless. One by one, hey fell out of their nest (waaaay up in the huge Blue Spruce in the corner of our yard) and died – a total of five of them. It was one of the most pitiful things I’ve ever seen.
Jan’s Sushi Bar would like you to read…Scooter’s Diet, And An UpdateMy Profile

18 keiths ramblings May 15, 2013 at 9:31 am

They are so tweet!

19 Patty May 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

How precious! Never seen the baby chick so up close. Great pics!
Patty would like you to read…A Week From Today: FitBlogNYCMy Profile

20 Deborah Pucci May 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

Awww…..they are so sweet!
Deborah Pucci would like you to read…WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGEMy Profile

21 Andreea B May 15, 2013 at 11:30 am

They are so little :)

Happy WW!
Andreea B would like you to read…Azi e ziua lor, ziua ielelor, vrăjitoarelor, până-n zoriMy Profile

22 Northwest Frame of Mind May 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Love your birds! Happy Wordless Wednesday. :)
Northwest Frame of Mind would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday: LunchMy Profile

23 Dawn May 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Awesome photos. It’s so hard to believe those tiny, featherless babies grow into the birds they become. Baby squirrels look so unusual too. We had a few that fell out of nest and we brought them to a Wildlife Rehab Center to care for them until they could be released.
Dawn would like you to read…Hodgepodge and Would You Rather WednesdayMy Profile

24 Taylor Dean May 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Love these pictures! Thanks for taking the time to take them for our viewing pleasure! I have a perfect view of a nest in my tree in my backyard. The momma Robin is still sitting on her eggs and refuses to leave, even when I’m outside sweeping. Good momma! I’m impressed with her bravery!
Taylor Dean would like you to read…WORDLESS WEDNESDAYMy Profile

25 Twisted Cinderella May 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Great pics of such sweet little guys!

26 Twisted Cinderella May 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Wonderful pics of sweet little feathered babies!
Twisted Cinderella would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday: Little PrinceMy Profile

27 Chavonne H May 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

What amazing photos!
Chavonne H would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday – Lazy Bryan w/LINKYMy Profile

28 Emmy May 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm

How awesome that you captured that! Baby birds really are pretty ugly :)

29 Sue May 15, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Those are super cool pictures. I love baby birds. I saw one yesterday, on a walk but in a neighbors yard.

Thanks for sharing – great photos :)
Sue would like you to read…WW “Dance Recital – Spread Your Wings”My Profile

30 Susie Kline May 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Aww I’m so jealous! Great shots!

31 Evelyn May 15, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Oh my gosh, that is so precious!! I can’t believe you were able to get close enough to the nest to take those shots. Awesome!
Evelyn would like you to read…Wordless Wednesday – Enjoying the OutdoorsMy Profile

32 angie May 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Oh my stars. I LOVED seeing your little birdies!!!! Must feature next week. :)
angie would like you to read…Wordful Wednesday – This Mother’s Happy HeartMy Profile

33 dude mom May 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

So cool! We haven’t had baby birds within viewing distance in a few years. We had some outside of out window one spring and I wasted many hours just sitting there watching them!
dude mom would like you to read…Wordful Wednesday. THIS is 35 and What NOT to Wear.My Profile

34 diane at Cooking Blind May 17, 2013 at 7:28 am

Great pics! Lucky that mama bird didn’t swoop at your head.

35 Lisa May 19, 2013 at 8:49 am

That little bird is so cute! Unfortunately, we haven’t got any nests around the house this year, although I can remember when we used to have one under our bedroom window! It was really nice to wake up for some bird sing:)
Lisa would like you to read…3D-gedruckte digitale DentaltechnikMy Profile