Livin’ On A Prayer because Girls Just Want To Have Fun You Oughta Know, with a Hand In My Pocket see the Evolution of Dance

by Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) on February 25, 2013 · 50 comments

in Monday Hops,Monday's Music Moves Me,Music Monday

Every weekend seems to fly by at the speed of light – I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the phrase “time flies when you’re having fun” comes into play.  Monday’s can be fun too, though – with a little help from friends with great tunes.  Trust me.

This week’s theme for Monday’s Music Moves me was chosen by our Spotlight Dancer Kayla from The Eclectic Element – she suggested songs that bring back a good memory whether it be songs, commercial jingles, etc.  Let’s start off with a favorite from the 80′s – I had moved out of my parents’ house and had my own apartment with no roommate, so the main phrase in this song definitely spoke volumes.  I’m betting lots of you can relate, too.

This song was released in late 1986, was well received at both rock and pop radio and its music video was given heavy rotation at MTV, giving the band their first #1 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.  The single also became the band’s signature song, topping fan-voted lists and re-charting around the world decades after its release.

BonJovi

Here’s Bon Jovi with “Livin’ On A Prayer”:

This next song evokes great memories of my friends and I whenever we got together for either Girls Night Out or on our infamous road trips to Vancouver, Canada, Portland, Oregon or California.  It never failed that we would belt out the verses to this song as we traveled to our fun destination.

The song is actually from 1979 – originally written and recorded by Robert Hazard, who wrote it from a male point of view. For this artist’s version, she changed the lyrics slightly to allow it to be performed by a female and Hazard approved the minor changes.  Her version made it famous when it appeared on her 1983 debut solo record, and it ended up being her breakthrough hit.

It was the first major single released by her as a solo artist and the lead-off single from her debut album.  Her version gained recognition as a feminist anthem and promoted by an award-winning video.  It has been covered on either an album or in live concert by over 30 other artists.

CyndiLauper

Here’s Cyndi Lauper with “Girls Just Want To Have Fun”:

Next up is one of my favorite artists who always came out with songs that had perfect timing for where my life was at the time.  For some reason, cranking them up and belting out the lyrics always made me feel better.

This song happened to be the first song chosen to be released as the lead single from her third studio album, and showed her change from ‘bubblegum pop’ to the alternative rock sound she was later known for.

Speculation ran rampant about who the song was about, since this artist wrote songs based on personal experience.  ABC News wrote an article claiming she admitted this particular song being about her former relationship with Full House’s Dave Coulier, but she has denied those claims with this statement:

“Well, I’ve never talked about who my songs were about and I won’t, because when I write them they’re written for the sake of personal expression. So with all due respect to whoever may see themselves in my songs, and it happens all the time, I never really comment on it because I write these songs for myself, not other people.”

If you’re a How I Met Your Mother fan like I am, you will have seen the recent episode where fictional 1990s Canadian pop star “Robin Sparkles” sang a song parodying this song in musical style.  Dave Coulier even made a cameo, commenting on the subject of the song, saying “It wasn’t me. Why does everyone always think it’s me?”

Alanis Morissette, singer

This particular song matched my mindset when my ex-husband left me for another woman.  Totally his loss.  Here’s Alanis Morissette with “You Oughta Know” (caution:  lyrics definitely not meant for little ears):

Of course I have to follow that debbie downer moment with a happier one – I discovered I was much better off and this Alanis Morissette song was the perfect reflection of that.  Here she is with “Hand In My Pocket”:

Last but not certainly not least, I stumbled across this video while searching for memory evoking tunes – this definitely fit the bill, along with totally cracking me up.  Bet you’ll have some memories evoked with this one.  Here’s inspirational comedian Judson Laipply with “Evolution of Dance”:

Bet you’ve done any or all of of those dance moves at some point, haven’t you?  Have a great Monday.

Now on to the particulars of Monday’s Music Move’s Me:

Photobucket

I have the supreme honor and privilege of being a co-host with the inimitable Xmas Dolly and her cohorts in crime, Lorie of The Shewbridges of Celebration, Florida, Callie from JAmericanSpice, Cathy from Cathy Kennedy’s Blog., and for the month of February, our Honorary Co-Conductor, Becca from Everyday Life.

Want to join in the fun? It’s easy – just find a tune that rocks your boat, post it and link up – don’t forget to grab Xmas Dolly…er, um, I mean her button…over at her place here. Check out Xmas Dolly’s sidebar for the random themes we sport each week – and you can always ask for a specific theme of music you like, too. Check out the other music lovahs and let’s jam!

Spotlight Dancers
INTRODUCING OUR “SPOTLIGHT DANCER”:

Amethyst Moon of Life, Music & Laughter

APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!

NewDivider

The awesome Run DMT also hosts Music Monday (who graciously helps out with our hostessing every time we need it, and who I had the privilege of meeting in person at BlogHer – she’s even more adorable than I imagined):

NewDivider

More Monday Hops – hop along, won’t you?

The Things We Find InsideSuper Sunday Sync
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 stevebethere February 25, 2013 at 4:07 am

Good choices this week my favourite amongst them has to be Living On A Prayer. ;-)

Have a tunetastic week ;-)
stevebethere would like you to read…Music Monday – Retro MixMy Profile

2 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 11:57 am

I figured you’d probably like that one best, Steve! ;) You have a tunetastic week, too! :D

3 Kristine February 25, 2013 at 7:37 am

I Met Alanis about two weeks after Jagged Little Pill was released. Seriously laid back chick with a mean giggle and short…wasn’t expecting that. LOL
Kristine would like you to read…SwampedMy Profile

4 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 11:57 am

That is so cool, Kristine! I’d love to meet her in person some day! :)

5 Melinda February 25, 2013 at 8:37 am

did you see the evolution of mom dance floating around this weekend, it’s pretty funny.
Melinda would like you to read…Keep Your Identity Safe While Moving #LifeLockMy Profile

6 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 11:59 am

I did see that, Melinda – as a matter of fact, that’s how I found the Evolution of Dance video…I’ll be sharing the Mom one tomorrow for Random Tuesday Thoughts. ;) Thanks for stopping by! :)

7 Claire February 25, 2013 at 8:44 am

Good ones! I can think of specific memories for each of those songs as well.
Claire would like you to read…MMMM + Oscar/Combine/Daytona weekendMy Profile

8 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 11:59 am

That’s the beauty of music, right Claire? They always evoke memories. :)

9 Stephanie February 25, 2013 at 9:51 am

What a great recap of those songs. I have distinct memories of each one, including dancing in my basement with my best friend to Girls just Wanna have fun!
Stephanie would like you to read…Shopping for Heart Healthy Snacks at WalgreensMy Profile

10 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Stephanie! Girls Just Want To Have Fun is definitely danceable – then and now. ;)

11 VandyJ February 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

Bon Jovi has always been one of my favorites.
I had a friends who was going through a bad breakup and she had never heard Alanis Morrisette before. You Oughta Know became her anthem.
I will claim some of those dance moves, but I’m not saying which ones. He compilation is awesome though!
VandyJ would like you to read…Monday, Already?My Profile

12 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Mine too, Vandy – always at the top of my list. ;) Isn’t it funny how the You Oughta Know song becomes a good anthem? ;) I was giggling watching the dance moves video – and remembering when and where I was doing some of those dance moves. ;)

13 Heather February 25, 2013 at 10:35 am

Who doesn’t love “Livin On A Prayer”? Its like an anthem to anyone first starting out. I love that song. Hey I am following from the GFC hop. I don’t see your GFC widget anywhere, so I chose to follow on Linky.

I’d love for you to check my blog out when you get a chance. Have a great monday!

Heather from Mommy Only Has 2 Hands
Heather would like you to read…Easy Ways To Keep Kids HealthyMy Profile

14 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I do think Livin’ On A Prayer is loved by all! :) GFC was taken away from those of us who aren’t on Blogger any more… :( Thanks for following on Linky – that’s what replaced GFC for us non-Blogger blogs. I’ll be by your blog later today to return the favor! :) Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

15 Lucy February 25, 2013 at 10:48 am

Loved hearing about your memories with songs and that last video was so much fun. Have a wonderful week :)

16 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Lucy! That last one sure is fun, isn’t it? You have a wonderful week, too! :)

17 Danielle Royalegacy February 25, 2013 at 11:04 am

Thanks for sharing your memories with us, Stacy. I would say that Livin’ on a Prayer is my fave out the bunch, too!
Danielle Royalegacy would like you to read…Marvelous Music Monday – Happy Memories 4Ms – February 25, 2013My Profile

18 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm

You’re very welcome, Danielle! ;) I think Livin’ On A Prayer is going to be a top favorite today! :D

19 Cathy Kennedy February 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun really does brings back a flood gate of good vibes & memories, plus it makes you wanna get up to dance. Love it. Great fun to cut the rug with you on Monday’s Music Moves Me, my friend!
Cathy Kennedy would like you to read…There was always something special about skating r…My Profile

20 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Isn’t it funny how certain songs do that, Cathy? And yes, it definitely does make you want to get up and dance! :D Love to cut the rug with you on Monday’s too! Have a great week! :)

21 Cindy February 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

I have to share this: When I was a kid, Cyndi Lauper filmed her video for Time After Time at my neighbor’s house! It was a HUGE affair for Wharton. My parents were members of the First Aid Squad. When Cyndi and company came to town, they set up camp at the first aid building because it was big. I got to meet her and Nina Blackwood. It was the highlight of my entire childhood. :-)

22 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Oh that is SO COOL Cindy! I would love to meet Cyndi Lauper in person – I can see why that would be the highlight of your entire childhood! :D

23 Emily February 25, 2013 at 11:36 am

This is awesome! I was JUST saying to myself that if I start the day with the right music, Monday won’t be so bad! LOL — love it!
Emily would like you to read…The Complete Idiot’s Guide to 300-400-500 Calorie Meals, ReviewMy Profile

24 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thank you, Emily! Music sure does make Monday less Mundane, doesn’t it? ;) Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

25 Sarah Hughes February 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Bon Jovi ;)
Sarah Hughes would like you to read…MudPuppy Make-A-Masks {review & giveaway}My Profile

26 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:02 am

What’s not to love, right Sarah? ;) Thanks for stopping by! :)
Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) would like you to read…Art Show Yawn-Fest, Funny Princess Nagger, Baby Bear Rescue and Michele Obama Dancing – Random Tuesday Thoughts RebelMy Profile

27 Rosey February 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Oh my gosh, I love that last video, that guy is hilarious (and he’s good too!).
Rosey would like you to read…What’s Missing?My Profile

28 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:03 am

Isn’t that great, Rosey? Had me in stitches! :)

29 Xmasdolly February 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Asking you to tag along on our train was the best thing I ever did in a long time! You go girl, and you got that right HIS LOSS! HAHAHAHA Great one cuz Girl’s just wanna have fun! All your choices just brought back wonderful memories for me too. Guess we travelled down a similar road. Love Change in my Pocket ahhhh such wonderful memories! Great Post girlfriend! Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories!
Xmasdolly would like you to read…Monday’s Music Moves MeMy Profile

30 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:03 am

Awwww! Thanks Marie! I’m honored to be a part of the music train! :)

31 Heather February 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Love, love Living on a Prayer…was always the last song to close the bars/clubs in DC in college… :)
Heather would like you to read…DIY Buoy Pillow {Beach-Themed Boys’ Bedroom}My Profile

32 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:04 am

It’s the perfect closing song, isn’t it Heather? :) Thanks for stopping by! :)

33 Naila Moon February 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm

“Living On A Prayer”-yeah, I can sooo relate!
I had seen the dance evolution one before and that just cracks me up.

Nice memories, Stacy. Rock on!
Naila Moon would like you to read…Mondays Music…Feb, 25, 2013My Profile

34 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:06 am

That comedian also came out with a second dance evolution video, but I didn’t think it was as good as the first (I didn’t watch the whole thing because it didn’t grab my attention like this one did). :) He’s working on a third – I’m curious to see if he outdoes himself! :) Have a great week, Naila! :)

35 Lauryn February 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Nice! I forgot how much I absolutely love Alanis Morissette…
Lauryn would like you to read…Our Weekly Meal Line-Up – February 25thMy Profile

36 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:07 am

Alanis certainly is one to love, eh Lauryn? ;) Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

37 Run DMT February 25, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Man, those were so great tunes! They brought back a lot of memories for me. Isn’t funny how a song can do that?! I remember sitting in three rows on the bleachers in PE with the girls in my class acting out that head bop move in the Cindy Lauper video. How funny is that?!

Love the evolution of Dance! That’s awesome!
Run DMT would like you to read…Parkesdale Farm Market: Florida’s Finest Strawberry GemMy Profile

38 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:11 am

Thanks Denise! It is funny how songs can bring back memories – and in some cases give you the warm fuzzies. ;) You made me giggle with the vision of you and the girls in your PE class acting out the head bop move in the Cindy Lauper video – that would have been hilarious to see! :)

39 Dominique Goh from Dominique's Desk February 25, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Those are real classics that you chose this week. Bon Jovi was also one of my favourites back then.
Dominique Goh would like you to read…Top 10 Highlights of FebruaryMy Profile

40 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:12 am

Thanks, Dominique! Bon Jovi is timeless, aren’t they? :)

41 Kayla from TheEclecticElement February 25, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I was wondering who was going to throw down Girls Just Wanna Have Fun today. It’s such an upbeat and get-up-and-dance kinda song! :)

Oh and I TOTALLY love the evolution of dance video! I’ve seen that a few times and it’s such a great video ^.^

Thanks for sharing your memories (it WAS your ex’s loss!) and have a musical week!
Kayla would like you to read…Things to Know: Filing for Social SecurityMy Profile

42 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:14 am

Leave it to me to ‘throw down’ Girls Just Want To Have Fun, right Kayla? ;) You have a musical week, too! :D

43 Colette S February 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm

All of these are on my fave list :D
And why would I admit to any of those dance moves :D

Have a fabulous week Stacy!
Colette S would like you to read…Can You Do The C-Drift? – 4MsMy Profile

44 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:15 am

That’s why we get along so well, Callie – we have the same great taste! :D Have a great week! :)

45 Chrissy February 25, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I love all of your song picks this week! I’ve even seen Bon Jovi in concert years ago. The evolution of dance video is hilarious!
Chrissy would like you to read…Music Monday [Memories]My Profile

46 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:16 am

Thanks Chrissy! Ohhhhh I would have loved to have seen Bon Jovi in concert! Lucky girl! :)

47 Hazel February 25, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Fun times with girl friends! Cyndi Lauper songs remind me a lot of high school although Girls… came out when I was in 6th grade, we listened to it until junior high. Bon Jovi and Alanis – great singers and performers!
Hazel would like you to read…God made a farmerMy Profile

48 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:17 am

Oh man you’re making me feel old telling me you were in 6th grade when Girls Just Want To Have Fun came out! LOL! Bon Jovi and Alanis certainly are great singers and performers! :) Have a great week! :)

49 KC February 26, 2013 at 7:51 am

I was blessed to have been born during this era. Would choose any of them over the songs being played nowadays. Bon Jovi with “Livin’ On A Prayer”…. m/
KC would like you to read…Living without money, Is it really possible?My Profile

50 Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) February 26, 2013 at 8:18 am

I couldn’t agree with you more, KC! Thanks for stopping by! :)