Ringing in the New Year

by Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) on December 28, 2012 · 15 comments

in Aloha Friday,Friday Follow,Friday Hops

Can you believe this is the final Friday of 2012?  Bring it on, 2013.  Once upon a time, before kids – we used to host or attend fun New Year’s Eve parties.  When Princess Nagger was still young, the hubby was part of a band that played out on New Year at venues that allowed kids, so she was included (and we didn’t have to try to find a reliable babysitter).  Then the band dissolved and we were once again left to our own devices.

Of course by then, Princess Nagger was old enough to stay up and ring in the New Year with us – sans the champagne, of course.  We had fun making a night of it, and toasting in the New Year with a nice cold glass of milk.  And cookies, naturally.  I suspect, however, that this will be the scene happening on Monday night:

The last few years I’ve been the only one that actually stays awake past midnight to see the New Year arrive – both the hubby and Princess Nagger usually end up passed out on the couch.  Lightweights.  I like calling my family members on the West Coast at midnight my time and making up some fun story to ‘warn’ them about what might happen when they finally arrive at midnight 3 hours later.  Besides, it’s kind of fun to be in the future and a whole new year while they’re stuck in the old year.  I know, my brain works funny like that.

Maybe I’ll get lucky and the hubby will take a nap *cough*old man*cough* earlier that day so he’ll stay up late enough to help me toast in the New Year with an adult beverage – I do have champagne on hand just for the occasion, and Princess Nagger said she wants hot chocolate if she’s awake for the toast.  Whether they’re awake or not, I’ll certainly be toasting it in – I’ll be sure to virtually toast with you, too.

Speaking of toasts (the celebratory kind, not the kind that comes out of a toaster) my best friend Peggy always had a fun toast – I liked it so much I had to have her write it down for me so I could memorize it. This is her toast:

Here’s to you and from you…
And to you again…
And if you get to it and don’t do it…
You’ll never get to it to do it again.

Pretty clever, no?  Here’s to you…and a great 2013.

Which brings me to this weeks question(s):

How do you ring in the New Year? Do you have a special toast (or do you make special toast)?

(sorry, I couldn’t resist…)

Have a great weekend, and

Happy New Year!

Kailani’s had her plate full and hasn’t had the linky up the last couple of months for Aloha Friday, so I’m bringing back the Friday Free For All I used to have available for you – link up if you’re participating in Aloha Friday or just link up so I can easily come pay you a visit:

Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets — Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!

Happy Aloha Friday!

From Kailani at An Island Life:
In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So on Fridays let’s take it easy on posting, too. Ask a simple question…nothing that requires a lengthy response. It’s a great way to make new blogging friends!

More Friday Follow Fun:

Feed Me FridayfriendandfollowChubby Cheeks ThinksLet Them Eat CakeBericeBabybloghopbuttonAloha Friday Blog Hop

Related Posts with Thumbnails Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Xmasdolly December 28, 2012 at 12:26 am

I’m with you. We’ll have to virtually toast because the last couple of years cough old man cough falls asleep on the couch too, and I bring the New Year in with Dick Clark & Ryan Seacrest (or however you spell it). LOL Happy New Year my friend, but I’ll see you on Monday. I have a new theme for Monday – check out my sidebar & pass the word please. Must finish wrapping presents now for Saturday (my Christmas with the kids and grandkids).
Xmasdolly would like you to read…Flashback Friendship Uncorked Aloha FridayMy Profile

2 Michele December 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

We are usually in bed asleep when the new year comes in. This year we’ve invited some friends over but they will probably leave by 10pm. We are old/lightweights.

3 Natosha Zachary December 28, 2012 at 12:16 pm

We try to stay up, but usually my husband will watch the ball drop in New York, wish me a Happy New Year and go to bed. (They are ahead of us by 2 hours!)

4 Debby Pucci December 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm

We usually stay at home, watch the specials on TV and ring in the New Year with champagne. Sometimes I set an alarm because we have been known to nap a little bit too! Happy New Year….
Debby Pucci would like you to read…CHRISTMAS WITH MISS SKYE B.My Profile

5 Judy December 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’m excited to see if my boys can actually stay up this year…Happy New Year to you and I hope you have a blast celebrating :).
Judy would like you to read…Popsicle stick Christmas treeMy Profile

6 Lenetta December 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I couldn’t find your gfc so I friended you on facebook. I found you through the Aloha Friday Blog Hop. Have a great day. :)

7 Alexis AKA MOM December 28, 2012 at 2:34 pm

HEHE Love the cough :).

Rick always works it and I’m here with the boys, they always poo out before midnight and sometimes me too … lol
Alexis AKA MOM would like you to read…Marking it on my Calendar …My Profile

8 Kim December 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm

AAAaahhh, I wish I had come by yesterday so that I could have prepared a free-for-all post. Wait a minute; who am I kidding? This week’s been way too busy for me to get to any regular posts. I am trying to work on one to go up on maybe Sunday evening, so that it can be seen on NYE before all the merriment begins anew :)

Here’s to a great 2013! I look forward to a new year full of blog hops, more writing, and making more internet friends!
Kim would like you to read…Did everyone have an amazing holiday?My Profile

9 JamericanSpice / Colette S December 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm

We don’t do a toast. Maybe I should begin a tradition of sorts with my kids, but I do let them stay up as late as they want and of course some get knocked out before it’s even time. I think it’s the lull before we get there.

I’ll have to think up a toast, we usually just watch the fireworks from our windows.

Here’s to you :)

10 Jenna December 29, 2012 at 11:41 am

Time passes so quickly i still remember the tinge of fears we all had about 2012, the apocalypse and all but here it’s ending and we are about to being another year! I wish 2013 brings happiness and peace all around the globe!
Jenna would like you to read…3 stone diamond ringsMy Profile

11 Hilary December 29, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I can’t believe it is new years already, although I am more than happy to say goodbye to 2012, Marc always falls asleep before midnight too – even if he naps… drives me crazy!
Hilary would like you to read…He loves me yeah, yeah, yeah…My Profile

12 Joyce December 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

I have no problem staying up late after being on vacation for a couple of weeks. My problem will be getting out of bed on Wednesday morning.
Joyce would like you to read…Silly Sunday: Big Famous RocksMy Profile

13 Dominique Goh December 30, 2012 at 7:43 pm

We don’t really do toasting and normally I will try to stay up to watch the countdown on tv.
Dominique Goh would like you to read…Resolutions for 2013My Profile

14 Dysfunction Junction December 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Such a cute blog! Found you through Aloha blog hop. Now following you on Linky Friends! If you have a moment to stop by my new blog and follow back that would be wonderful! You can find me at http://dysfunctionsjunction.com
Thanks!
Katie
Dysfunction Junction would like you to read…What better gift than a bottle of A-1?My Profile

15 Rings Online February 25, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I ring in my new year,by falling asleep wake up at midnight,and wish everyone a happy new year.