Jetting on a Real Whirled Trip, Dead Mouse Greeting, Stink Bug Stowaway – RTT Rebel

by Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) on November 27, 2012 · 32 comments

in Random Tuesday Thoughts Rebel,Talk To Us Tuesday,Tuesday Hops,Tuesday Train

Guess where I’m jetting off to today?  I mean literally jetting off to – Benton Harbor, Michigan by way of Chicago.  I know, right?  I’ve been honored with an invitation to go on a “Real Whirled House” trip – to stay at The Real Whirled House in Benton Harbor, Michigan.  Say what?

Yep, me and seven other amazing bloggers (many of whom I’ve wanted to meet in person forever) will get a deep dive into the entire line of Maytag brand home appliances, plus a behind-the-scenes look at the labs where the products are tested for their dependability. The trip will finish with a visit to Whirlpool Corporation’s new immersion facility – the World of Whirlpool in Chicago.

The ‘training facility’ is a house with 4 kitchens, 4 laundry rooms, 8 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms completely outfitted with Whirlpool / Maytag appliances.  Pretty sweet, no?  It’s going to be an experience of a lifetime.  I’ll definitely be writing about the experiences, so stay tuned for that.

Of course that means that this morning I’ll be on a plane (provided Mother Nature isn’t cruel by sending the predicted 4-6 inches of snow to delay things) and won’t be home until late Thursday night.  I’ll be sure to post updates on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram so you can follow the fun.

Remember how I mentioned last week that the furnace stopped working last Sunday?  You know, a week and two days ago?  Well, it wasn’t fixed last Tuesday like I thought it would be.  The dudes had to order a part that was supposed to come in yesterday, but they couldn’t ‘schedule’ a return visit until today.  It’s stinkin’ cold in the house.  The poor pellet stove is doing what it can, but only the living room stays warm where the rest of the house is annoying cold.

Well, OK it’s not that bad, but it sure feels like it.  I’m betting that’s why both Princess Nagger and I ended up catching colds – my ears are plugged, so I imagine flying is going to be horrendous with the pressure.  Here’s hoping I won’t be wandering around the Maytag facilities saying “Huh? What?” to everything that’s said to me.

Speaking of annoying…  One morning last week our claw-less cat Zelda had been meowing and scratching at the door before the alarm was scheduled to go off, so I decided to go ahead and get up, since once I’m awake, it’s hard to go back to sleep.  More so when the alarm would be waking me up in less than an hour anyway.

When I exited our bedroom, I almost stepped on the body of a dead mouse laying right outside our door.  Ewwwwww is right.   Our claw-less cat Zelda was meowing in pride.

I took a picture of the mouse, but I thought I’d save you the ewwww factor.  As if that wasn’t enough, we haven’t had an infestation of stink bugs like we did a couple of years ago (knock on wood… that year was awful – stink bugs everywhere ).  They don’t have any natural predators, so that’s why they are cocky and persistent with trying to move into the house when it gets cold.

Any time I find one, I scoop it up with toilet paper and flush it down the toilet, hoping they don’t let off a stink bomb on their way down, because that smell is hard to get out of the air.  They really do live up to their name.

The other day I was getting dressed, and freshly washed clothes were still hanging on the shower rod – so I grabbed my bra, top and cardigan and quickly got dressed.  After I went downstairs and as I was putting my shoes and socks on, I kept getting a whiff of stink bug stink.

I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from, but it seemed to keep following me everywhere I went.  I figured there had to be one stuck on my freshly washed clothes somewhere, since they do like the fabric softener smell – but he apparently didn’t like being taken for a ride.

Little did I know…  I went into the downstairs bathroom and started undressing one article of clothing at a time – shaking each piece of clothing out and inspecting every inch looking for the offending little bugger.  Since the smell seemed to be emanating from my cleavage, the bra was next… still no stink bug.

But the under-wire seemed to have that stink bug smell.  Then I found it.  When I ran my hands under my boobs – the stupid stink bug had apparently been on my bra, and stayed hanging on for dear life to the underside of my right boob.

Go ahead, you can all squeal “Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!” because that’s what I did, while dancing around and shaking my hands in disgust.  Then I flushed that stinker down the toilet.  The stink bug, not my boob.  Though I did have to wash that and change my bra because the Stink. Wouldn’t. Go. Away.

There, now don’t you feel better you haven’t had a morning like that?

These are the mornings of my life.

Let’s wrap this up with something positive, shall we?  Princess Nagger and I had fun shopping for Small Business Saturday – it was a cold and blustery day, so of course we decided to stop and get some hot chocolate to warm up.  Princess Nagger enjoyed pretending she was drinking coffee:

That’s a wrap for week – when I get back I’ll be sure to pay each and every one of you a visit over the weekend – I know I’ve been horrible at doing my visits the last couple of weeks, but I’m sure you understand how crazy this time of year is with all the birthdays and holidays – but rest assured you’re never far from my thoughts.

Meanwhile, link up and join in the fun. Everyone is welcome, random or not. And for those who celebrate, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets — Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!

Keeping the random alive – feel free to snag a badge and play along – one for my wino friends:

Stacy

And one for my non-wino friends:

Stacy

I’m also linking up with two stellar ladies, Shawn and Impulsive, the lovely hosts of Talk To Us Tuesday. There are no rules so link away.

Seriously Shawn

More Tuesday hops – if you’re stopping by here from there, please do me a favor and follow via LinkyFollowers – since I was robbed of my GFC followers when the cads at Goggle decided to boycott non-Blogger blogs.

TuesdayTrain friendandfollow Flock Together

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Gretchen November 27, 2012 at 12:35 am

I want to hear all about the Whirlpool adventure! Have an excellent time! You totally creeped me out with both the dead mouse AND the stink bug!
Gretchen would like you to read…RTT: Turkey, OMW and Doggie DooMy Profile

2 Terra Heck November 27, 2012 at 12:39 am

You have a beautiful cat. I intended to shop on Small Business Saturday but stayed home instead. Have fun on your trip! I can’t wait to hear about it.
Terra Heck would like you to read…Random Tuesday Thoughts – He Made The PaperMy Profile

3 Alex November 27, 2012 at 1:41 am

Its a nice experience having this kind of trip!
Alex would like you to read…Review on iPhone 5 – What You Should Know?My Profile

4 SueAnn November 27, 2012 at 6:16 am

That ice house is amazing!!!
Whirlpool…super!!

Hugs
SueAnn

5 Michele November 27, 2012 at 6:32 am

I’ll want to hear about the Whirl House gig. I remember stink bugs from Indiana. They are nasty.

6 Hilary November 27, 2012 at 6:35 am

Have a great trip… sounds like fun… Love the picture of the princess… sorry about the heat situation… but you are so not alone. seems like everyone whose heating system broke can’t get it fixed – either delays with parts or scheduling someone to actually do the work… at least you have the stove…
Hilary would like you to read…Isn’t it ironic… don’t you think?My Profile

7 kyooty November 27, 2012 at 7:22 am

I can’t get over how much older PN looks with her Hot Chocolate. :) I have to get my butt to the treadmill and pop out a post. I can’t wait to hear about your Whirlpool trip.
kyooty would like you to read…wordless wednesday view for the last 100 minutesMy Profile

8 @mfashforward November 27, 2012 at 8:24 am

I feel for you with the furnace…I thought I had it bad when my water heater went out and I had to wait a week on the new one but you top that..
@mfashforward would like you to read…The White Dress Shirt From Wardrobe Staple to Style IconMy Profile

9 Meryl November 27, 2012 at 8:24 am

Sorry to hear about the critter visits but the Whirlpool trip sounds awesome. I’m also in the New York area – snow/rain for us…again! Good luck and safe, easy travels.

10 Julie From Momspective November 27, 2012 at 8:28 am

Princess Nagger looks way too grown up lately. Congrats on the trip, it sounds like I ton of fun! I know what it’s like getting to meet bloggers you’re friends with but have never seen. Hopefully you’ll be in my future someday!
Julie From Momspective would like you to read…RTT – You Know I Hate Morings Right?My Profile

11 Claire November 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

While cleaning out my garage, I thought I found a fake craft bird (don’t ask form what; I wasn’t sure myself) but then, I realized it was a REAL dead bird and I freaked out, having just touched its soft downy feathers. EW. I feel your pain!
Claire would like you to read…Random (Talk to us) Tuesday – Really?? editionMy Profile

12 Lynn November 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

LOL. This was a whirlwind of a post. Congratulations on the trip, how cool. On the stick bug not, they must be hatching out again because I’ve had some really… yuck…encounters myself.

Be safe on your travel!
Lynn would like you to read…Searching for Ground Cedar on SundayMy Profile

13 Rachel M. November 27, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thank you Stink Bug for giving Stacy the most hilarious Random Tuesday post – EVER!!!
Rachel M. would like you to read…Random TuesdayMy Profile

14 Emmy November 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh ewe!! I would have been freaking out with that bug. Glad you were able to find it. And how awful to not have working heat- hope it gets fixed soon.

Have fun at your getaway- sounds like fun.
Emmy would like you to read…Ten Things to Smile About: NovemberMy Profile

15 VandyJ November 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

Ew ew ew! I hate bugs in general, but finding one there! Full body shudders. EW!
OK, now, how cool is your trip going to be? Have a great time!

16 Becki November 27, 2012 at 10:03 am

I shuddered at your bug experience. Still kinda creeped out…

Enjoy Michigan – we had a bit of snow, but most of it melted quickly. :)
Becki would like you to read…Random Tuesday ThoughtsMy Profile

17 Seriously Shawn November 27, 2012 at 10:06 am

What a cool thing to be a part of, enjoy yourself!

I’m sorry but the stink bug, of which I don’t think I’ve ever seen, is gross, gross, gross! But if it makes you feel any better I had a tick on my leg once. Apparently Rogue came to us with a few ticks and since he’s always up on me he shared. I was thoroughly disgusted, showered in scalding hot water and bombed the entire house!

18 Jan's Sushi Bar November 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

Okay, I was going to gush over your “Whirl(pool)” of a trip, but…you get a great big, “EWWWWWWWWWWWW” over the stink bug thing.

Ewwww.
Jan’s Sushi Bar would like you to read…Turkey and Sweet Potato HashMy Profile

19 Cathy Kennedy November 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Enjoy the whole Whirlpool experience! Oh yeah, you know that had to be a male stink bug. How do I know this, you ask. Simple. It went straight for your bra. What a smooth operator that little booger is! I mean, it got you to take your bra off without even trying. =D Thanks for hosting!
Cathy Kennedy would like you to read…I want to answer so many questions!!! :)
I usually…
My Profile

20 Elle November 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm

You go girl!!! I can’t wait to hear and see everything! Have a blast!

I love the picture of Zelda with the little thought bubble. Between stink bugs in your bra and stepping on dead mice who needs coffee??!!

Have a safe and wonderful trip!
Elle would like you to read…Throwing out some Tuesday RandomnessMy Profile

21 Andrea November 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Smaller busted women just don’t know how god they have it that a) they don’t need underwires and b) things don’t nestle under their boobs! EEEEEEEKKKK!
Andrea would like you to read…Another turkey breast?My Profile

22 Xmasdolly November 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I am soooooooooo jealous. You have fun girly girl & are you stopping over in Chicago? That’s where I live close too. Well, only 45 minutes away! Ewwwwwwww dead meese and stink bugs ewwwww What’s a sting bug besides a bug that stinks? Is it like a skunk of bugs? Whoa! TOTAL YUK! Have a fun safe trip & can’t wait to see/read about the perils of Missy Stacy! YOU GO GIRL!
Xmasdolly would like you to read…SHOW OFF TUESDAY – GIVE-AWAYS & REVIEWSMy Profile

23 Storm, the Psychotic Housewife November 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Ooh how fun on the trip! Not so fun on the stink bug, ick, ick, icccckkk! (or mouse! YIKES!) LOL @ PN “drinking” coffee. ;)
Storm, the Psychotic Housewife would like you to read…Random Tuesday Thoughts – Bad Internet, Bad!My Profile

24 Tina from NJAMB! November 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Yeah, I would totally lose it with the stinky bug. The mouse would have freaked me out, but look at it this way–if the cat is earning its keep, they kill the mouse. If the cat thinks YOU need to learn to catch your own food, they bring it to you alive. Which would you rather have? Ewwwww!

Have a great time at the Whirled house!
Tina from NJAMB! would like you to read…Post Turkey RandomMy Profile

25 Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} November 28, 2012 at 6:58 am

Ooooh the Whirlpool trip sounds like fun! And your cat is hilarious. THANK YOU for sparing us the photo of the mouse. ;-)
Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} would like you to read…Daily Mom Style 11.28.12My Profile

26 Amanda November 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip! Michigan rocks.
I love stink bugs, even though they are gross. I love pretty much all bugs. We had hilarity ensue when a stink bug landed on MacGyver in the car the other day. Stinky hilarity. Stinky grown man screaming like a little girl and JUMPING OUT OF THE CAR hilarity.
Good times.

27 Joy December 1, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I had fun reading the entire article. It’s funny, entertaining, engaging, and most of all, it’s a very unique experience. Thank you Stacey!

28 Calra December 5, 2012 at 2:38 am

I was actually looking forward to seeing a dead mouse. Just kidding. This is just a very fun and light read. Your cat is simply adorable. I’d love to have one, but thanks to my allergies I can’t. Good job on the post! Keep it up.

29 Kelly December 5, 2012 at 4:57 am

Amusing story! A series of unfortunate events, but still amusing. By the way, your cat is simply adorable. I remember when my cat brought me his kill, I was grossed out of my wits! Turns out this is the way they show their ‘love’, so consider it a present.

30 Sandra December 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

I can’t stop laughing about your cat. She’s quite the hunter. Don’t get offended by the mouse she’s given you. It’s their way of saying “thank you for feeding me.”
Sandra would like you to read…Multi tasking is in anyone’s reach thanks to SuiteDashMy Profile

31 Melissa Cleaver December 12, 2012 at 4:16 am

Absolutely hilarious! I was laughing the entire time and it was audible by the time you found the stink bug! :)
Melissa Cleaver would like you to read…Here in the Real Whirled ~ #MaytagRW #MaytagMomsMy Profile

32 Calra January 4, 2013 at 4:13 am

The title was so interesting, my brows met each other. :) But the rest of the blog is so awesome! :) I hope you and Princess Nagger are okay now. :) Thanks!!