They Say It’s (My) Birthday

by Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) on December 9, 2011 · 25 comments

in Aloha Friday,Birthday,Follow Friday,Follow Friday 40 and Over,Friday Follow,Friday Hops

I’ve made it to another birthday.  It’s always fun having a birthday on a Friday, because you can stay up late without worrying about having to get up early the next morning, and you can pretty much make the celebration last all weekend long.  Who’s with me?

I looked up who shares my birthday with me, and was surprised at the extensive list – people like Beau Bridges, Kirk Douglas, Donny Osmond, Tre Cool (no wonder I like Green Day) and I love that I share a birthday with Felicity Huffman (Lynnett Scavo on Desperate Housewives).

Having a birthday two-weeks before Christmas was sometimes a bummer, mostly because (despite the obvious proximity to Christmas) but since my brother and sister (twins) have their birthday on Monday, it means 3 out of 4 of us kids had a birthday right before Christmas.  We’d end up getting a lot of “This is your birthday and Christmas present” gifts.

We’d usually have a birthday celebration for all three of us in one shot – my mom would make a cake, I’d blow out the candles first, then she’d remove one candle and relight them two more times to give my brother and sister their turns.  I always thought it wasn’t fair they got to open their presents early, since they usually did it on my birthday.  I couldn’t talk my mom into letting me open my presents 3 days early.

After we grew up and moved into places of our own, having our birthdays so close made it easier to get our birthdays taken care of in one weekend with a big celebration. I didn’t mind sharing any more.

I’m not a big cake person, so there won’t be a cake (much to Princess Nagger’s disappointment) but I’m sure we’ll leave room for dessert at the restaurant tonight.  Or get it to go to have later, just because we can.  This would be a cool birthday cake, though:

It’s a birthday cake wine bottle stopper – cool, no?

Which brings me to this weeks question(s):

How do you celebrate your birthday? Do you have a cake?

Have a great weekend!

Link up if you like – that way I can visit you easily, especially if you’re a new follower (just please oh please leave a comment when you do!). You can be participating in any (or none) of the hops listed below – it’s a Free-For-All!

Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets — Auto-Linky widget will appear right here!

Happy Aloha Friday!

From Kailani at An Island Life:
In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So on Fridays let’s take it easy on posting, too. Ask a simple question…nothing that requires a lengthy response. It’s a great way to make new blogging friends!

Follow Friday 40 and Over

There are a lot of fabulous bloggers who are 40, so I’m participating in Follow Friday 40 and Over – please be sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come check out your site and follow you, too!

More Friday Follow Fun

Oh So SAvvy MomSmart and Trendy MomsA Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog HopChubby Cheeks ThinksThanks Mail CarrierHome Grown Families

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Martha December 9, 2011 at 4:30 am

Happy Happy Birthday! Cake is not a requirement here. I like to find some other type of dessert! Lately my birthdays have been non events!!!

2 SueAnn December 9, 2011 at 5:24 am

Happy Birthday sweetie!!! I think it is cool that you all had birthdays close together!! And during the holidays too! Wow!! But I can see that as a kids that would have been a bummer!!
Hope you get some fabulous gifts.
My birthday…well no big party…all my family lives too far away!! But my hubby makes it as special as he can. We celebrate for the whole month! Lots of dinners out! No cake though! Sigh! I miss that!
Hugs
SueAnn

3 RMontalban December 9, 2011 at 6:57 am

It’s my birthday too!!! Happy Birthday to you, hope you are having as great a day as I am. Won’t ask if we are the same age though, if we are that would be spooky, ha, ha!!!

4 Hilary December 9, 2011 at 7:06 am

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a great one! I usually have a cake at work.. but at home, never…..
Hilary would like you to read…Follow Friday Four Fill in Fun Blog Hop – Week 40My Profile

5 Gigi Ann December 9, 2011 at 9:31 am

Another year, and another day older. Have a great day!
Gigi Ann would like you to read…"First Line Meme 2011"My Profile

6 Beth December 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

Happy Birthday to another December 9th person. It’s my birthday today and I have no clue what I want to do today. Hope you have an extra wonderful day :)
Beth would like you to read…Today’s My DayMy Profile

7 kyooty December 9, 2011 at 10:34 am

I share my birthday with my brother and sister “to the day” and so every year I call them up and say “you too” just like Christmas greetings. I have to have a cake. It wouldn’t be a birthday without a cake or 3. :)

8 Sprite's Keeper December 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

On my birthday, we went to the Elephant Bar since they have some meals John and I can eat without dissecting. Then John pulled out a bag from the whole foods store. Yup, I had organic carrot cake on my birthday. Delicious!
Happy birthday, Stacy! xoxo
Sprite’s Keeper would like you to read…Spin Cycle: Who rings your Jingle Bells???My Profile

9 Jules December 9, 2011 at 11:02 am

Happy Birthday!! May the year ahead be all that you wish for and oooodles more.

A new follower from the Midwest.
Jules would like you to read…catch the {creative} spirit of the seasonMy Profile

10 Cathi December 9, 2011 at 11:02 am

HaPpY HaPpY Birthday!!!
We don’t necessarily have cake but there’s always some kind of celebration. ;D
Cathi would like you to read…Aloha Friday – Holiday PreparationsMy Profile

11 MSRheinlander December 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

Happy Happy Birthday!!!
MSRheinlander would like you to read…Gift Card #Giveaway Hop {12/9~12/13}My Profile

12 Menopausal New Mom December 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Happy, Happy BirthDay to you!!!! Here we celebrate with a cake and a song :)

Deb
Menopausal New Mom would like you to read…Aloha Friday – Christmas Tree Edition!My Profile

13 Deborah December 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Only if someone bakes me one.
Deborah would like you to read…Friday Blog HopsMy Profile

14 Harriet December 9, 2011 at 11:34 am

Holy Cow-2 Aloha people celebrating b-days! How funny!

Happy birthday to you. Mine is next week and I’ve already got my carrot cake mix :)

Have a great Friday!
Harriet would like you to read…Still texting and Driving?My Profile

15 JamericanSpice December 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Happy birthday beautiful!

I hope now you’ll get your own party.

I don’t really celebrate my birthday. No one else does anyway. I buy myself chocolates. Sometimes I honestly don’t even remember my birthday!
JamericanSpice would like you to read…Me Or The MaidMy Profile

16 Catherine L. December 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Happy Birthday! I usually celebrate with friends and family and most years I have cake.
Catherine L. would like you to read…Aloha Friday – Christmas ShoppingMy Profile

17 Jan December 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm

My birthday is 3 days before Christmas. I spend it much like you do yours – listening to “Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!!”

Oh, well…at least the “Happy Birthday” comes first.

And happy birthday, Stacy – I hope you’re having a fabulous one!
Jan would like you to read…Why I Eat The Way I Do, Part 2My Profile

18 Teressa Morris December 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Happy Birthday!! I am following you by email.
Teressa Morris would like you to read…The Unexpected Corgle*My Profile

19 Kendra December 9, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Happy birthday! My birthday is in June so we always enjoyed a nice ice cream cake for my birthday from Dairy Queen! So more ice cream than cake!

20 QandleQueen December 9, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Happy happy happy Birthday!!!!!

Since you don’t do cake, how about a birthday cake shot? or five?
QandleQueen would like you to read…Friday Fragments – Dec 9, 2011My Profile

21 Krystyn December 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Happy birthday! I’m with you on the cake…make me a pie or ice cream pie…way better!
Krystyn would like you to read…The Holiday Program | PSFMy Profile

22 Lola December 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Excellent video. A belated happy birthday. I don’t have birthday celebrations because I no longer have birthdays. I had to quit because I couldn’t count any higher.

Love,
Lola
Lola would like you to read…JANE’S ADDICTIONMy Profile

23 Smellyann December 10, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Happy birthday, Stacy!!!

I can’t eat cake anymore, so every year I just ask for a clean house and never get it. *sigh*

24 Jennifer December 13, 2011 at 4:46 am

I most definitely have cake! … and maybe cookies, some ice cream, a candy bar… LOL! On my birthday, anything goes, but for sure, I have to have cake!
Jennifer would like you to read…A Happy ThanksgivingMy Profile