Corn Festival and Princess Zelda – Random Tuesday Thoughts

by Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) on September 28, 2010 · 36 comments

in Random Tuesday Thoughts

While the first day of Fall has come and gone, Mother Nature still hasn’t taken care of her hot flashes.  We had 90+ degree temperatures finishing off the week last week, and while the temperatures are finally starting to cool down, the humidity levels are still persistently annoying.  Of course the endless torrential downpour of rain yesterday probably didn’t help the humidity aspect.  I’m ready for the cooler weather.

I had trouble with my internet connection yesterday because of the bad weather – when I finally got online, I had some issues trying to leave comments on Blogger blogs.  Anyone else run into error after error yesterday, or was it just me and my gimpy laptop?

Speaking of the weather, we spent Sunday at a Corn Festival.  I know, excitement abounds in Small Town.  But it was really fun, and Mother Nature decided to give us a break after threatening to rain on our parade, so the weather was actually really nice.  Since it was overcast most of the day, it didn’t get too terribly hot, so wandering around aimlessly having fun was nice.

Just inside the entrance is the first photo op – of course Princess Nagger had to choose the horse just to annoy Dada:

There were a lot of fun things to do, especially for kids.  There were hay bales to climb on and crawl through:

A giant tube slide to slide down on (and of course I forgot to take a picture of the actual slide, just of Princess Nagger exiting):

While Princess Nagger was sliding on the giant slide, the hubby and I were slightly distracted by Julienne Irwin (the runner up on America’s Got Talent a couple of years ago) performing on stage:

We also wandered aimlessly through the 8-acre corn maze with Princess Nagger in the lead:

We all had a lot of fun, the only disappointment of the day was the face painting.  We saw lots of people running around with unique and elaborate face painting – cats, tigers, butterflies – you name it, they were cool looking.  We even saw one little boy with a dinosaur painted so the little boy’s mouth was the dinosaur’s mouth.  Princess Nagger immediately decided that’s what she wanted, too.  So off we went and…

Um, yeah.  More like a bad hieroglyphic than actual face painting, especially since no paints were used.  And definitely not what we saw on the little boy.  We must have waited too long and the gal that painted the dinosaur on the other kid must not have been there when PN went, because they all seemed baffled by the description.  At least a second trip to the bounce house quelled Princess Nagger’s disappointment.

I’ll share the rest of the pictures tomorrow – don’t want to inundate you with all of them today!

Thank goodness we have a month until Halloween.  Princess Nagger finally decided what she’d like to dress up as.  Princess Zelda:

Since there are no ‘ready made’ costumes to buy, I have my work cut out for me to make this for her.  I’ll keep you posted on how that goes.  Meanwhile, since Picture Day is Wednesday, she wanted to wear a pair of Tri-Force earrings for her picture (in fact, she had it in her head that I could whip up the costume in two days and she’d simply wear it for picture day.  I had to disappoint her that my magic wand is currently on the fritz, and that the school wouldn’t allow her to wear the costume to school, so she’ll just have to wait until Halloween.)  So she relented to no costume, but wanted to know if I could make her some earrings to wear of the Tri-Force symbol:

I thought about making them out of clay, but decided to go a different route.  Since Princess Nagger loves anything gold and shiny, I made these instead:

Princess Nagger was thrilled when she saw I made them by the time she got home yesterday (she had doubts that I would be able to pull it off before Wednesday morning…such confidence in her Mama!) and had to put them on immediately:

I think she’ll make a cute Princess Zelda, don’t you?  It’ll be worth all the work that will have to go into making a costume for her to wear.  Wish me luck.

That’s it for this edition of RTT -  head on over to see Keely the Tri-Force tends to love her, so she’ll make you feel right at home.

randomtuesdayGo forth and be Random!

I’m also participating in Follow Me Back Tuesday – if you are a new Follower, please be sure to leave a link so I can follow you back!

BWS  tips button

Tags: , , , ,

1 The Caffeinated Globe September 28, 2010 at 12:36 am

I like the photos and the sketch.

In my latest post, I mentioned you and your blog. See for yourself:

2 Kristina P. September 28, 2010 at 12:44 am

I had no idea Zelda was still around!

And that corn festival looks delightful.
Kristina P. would like you to read…Winner- Winner- Chicken Dinner!My Profile

3 Rosemary Nickerson September 28, 2010 at 4:31 am

I love fall fairs. The Ball’s Falls Harvest Festsival is an all-time fav in this neck of the woods. It is held annually over the Thanksgiving weekend in October. This past weekend was the Grape and Wine Festival, celebrating the grape harvest. Just knowing that winter is not far off, we take every opportunity to enjoy the outdoor activities available now while the sun is still keeping us warm and happy. Looks like your family is doing the same.
Rosemary
Rosemary Nickerson would like you to read…Demolition DerbyMy Profile

4 brian September 28, 2010 at 6:27 am

oh yeah that will be a great costume…the festival looks like a lot of fun…hay mazes are cool!
brian would like you to read…my pen- my swordMy Profile

5 Kyooty September 28, 2010 at 7:23 am

She’s going to turn into a perfect Princess Zelda since she’s already got the princess part down. that Corn Festival looks Fun for all!
Kyooty would like you to read…Saturday VGNOMy Profile

6 Leigh September 28, 2010 at 8:12 am

Looks like fun was had by all at the corn festival. We did almost the same thing this weekend, but around here they call it the Autumn Leaf Festival. Happy Random Tuesday!

7 Raven September 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

Sounds like a great time! Too bad about the face painting though, that dinasour was pretty lame. Good luck sewing that costume. I have no skills what so ever in that area so my kids have to rely on store-bought costumes. I know, they are so deprived. ;)
Raven would like you to read…Did I Really Have to Say ThatMy Profile

8 Hanna September 28, 2010 at 9:09 am

Hi! I’m your newest follower from the blog hop! Lovely blog:) You can find me at http://www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

9 diane September 28, 2010 at 9:11 am

O.k., I’m going to say what everyone else thought too but didn’t say…….the corn silo, ahem, resembles something else.

Loved the photos, and the costume idea is wonderful.
diane would like you to read…Fashion Week!! Style Bubble- Sartorialist- &amp Bjorn Borg Shots from Various Shows &amp Personal StyleMy Profile

10 kimert September 28, 2010 at 9:15 am

I LOVE Fall!! Great pics! Looks like a fun time. I can’t wait to go to the pumpkin farm/corn maze this year. :)
Love the costume idea.
kimert would like you to read…Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

11 kel September 28, 2010 at 9:27 am

Fall festivals like that are the reason I love this season!!! Great post!
kel would like you to read…Random Tuesday because Im nothing if not randomMy Profile

12 Xenia September 28, 2010 at 9:29 am

Wow, looks like a great time (minus the imitation dinosaur)! I’ve actually never done a corn maze and have always thought they look like fun.

I am lucky to have a creative and talented mom like you, looking back I’m sure I asked her to create all kinds of costumes and such as well! Your daughter is going to look great!

Thanks for stopping by, I’m following! :)
Xenia would like you to read…Olivia 2-in-1 Playset and Plush ReviewMy Profile

13 SueAnn September 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

We had a cool fair here too in New Mexico. Yours looked absolutely delightful. Too bad about the face painting…that really sucked!!
Love the earrings and she looks great wearing them.
That costume is going to be something..can’t wait to see!!
Hugs and thanks for visiting
SueAnn
SueAnn would like you to read…Random Tuesdaythey are alive!!!!My Profile

14 Christina September 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

Blogger has been giving me problems lately. I’m getting lots of 503 errors. Small towns are good for festivals. We’ll be having our annual Rice Festival next month. Good luck with the costume. I can’t wait to see pictures.
Christina would like you to read…BAD MOM AWARD – I MADE MY KID CRYMy Profile

15 Claire September 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

Corn mazes freak me out. Who knows what could be hiding in there!
Claire would like you to read…Tuesday of Randomness!!My Profile

16 VandyJ September 28, 2010 at 11:28 am

Looks like fun was had by all. We want to try to get to a corn maze one of these falls but with at least an hour and a half drive to the nearest one it’s an all day kind of trip. Cool that you have one so near.
VandyJ would like you to read…Random TuesdayMy Profile

17 Mama Badger September 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

Those earrings are amazing! I want some…

Princess Zelda looks a lot like that elfin princess from Lord of the Rings. Nothing on line for that, either? Good luck!

18 Kathy Thomas September 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I am a new follower from the blog hop.
Living Out Loud
Kathy Thomas would like you to read…Twitter Hops- Blog Hops – Fun! get new Followers and FriendsMy Profile

19 Ruth September 28, 2010 at 2:05 pm

It looks like you had a lot of fun! My daughter loves face painting too.

I’m just popping in from the Tuesday hops. I love your blog! I’m now a follower. Stop by if you get a chance.

living well, spending less

20 AmyLK September 28, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Fall festivals are the best! Son and I were supposed to go to one this weekend but he didn’t get homework done on Saturday and Sunday it rained. That’s an awesome costume! I can’t wait to see how it comes out! Happy RTT!
AmyLK would like you to read…Random Up!My Profile

21 Candid Chic September 28, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Stopping by from the Tuesday blog hop and now you’re newest follower. I hope you can stop by my blog, visit, and possibly follow back.

I just recently started my blog, so it’s a work in progress. I’m loving every second though.

Candid Chic Musings

22 Rachel M September 28, 2010 at 6:08 pm

you always put so much work into your Tuesday updates! great photos and can’t wait to see the costume!!!
Rachel M would like you to read…Random Tuesday ThoughtsMy Profile

23 Nicole (Ninja Mom) September 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I love that Zelda is still cool enough to be a costume! I was one of the orginal Legend of Zelda players. How old am I feeling? And the earrings are fab.

Nicole (Ninja Mom)

24 FoN September 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I totally forgot about Zelda! We’re headed to a pumpkin patch type-place ourselves this weekend. Don’t they make awesome backgrounds for photos?
FoN would like you to read…Maybe I could just wall paper it with giant Post-itsMy Profile

25 Laufa September 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm

We are doing the fall corn maze/pumpkin pickin mid next month. Looks like a lot of fun!
PN will make a beautiful Princess Zelda! You could buy a wedding costume her size and then add the purple to cut down on time.
I completely understand making the costume – I had to do it for both kids last year: Smurfette and Aang the Avatar. I bought costumes on sale last year right after Halloween. The kids have tried on their outfits many times since then.
Laufa would like you to read…RTT- Llamas and UnicornsMy Profile

26 Danielle September 28, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Wow, you made those earrings? Look at you go! Good luck with the costume!
Danielle would like you to read…Vacation Replay -Picture EditionMy Profile

27 Kendra September 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Wow! You are amazing! Making earrings and homemade Halloween costumes! And we go to a similar pumpkin patch that have a lot of what you took pictures of. We are looking forward to going in a few weeks!

28 Sprite's Keeper September 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Wait, you MADE those? Talent be thy name!
Sprite will either be Minnie or a Princess for Halloween. There are no other options. My foot is DOWN! :-)
Sprite’s Keeper would like you to read…Spin Cycle- Knock knockMy Profile

29 Nicki September 29, 2010 at 8:24 am

I know your brain is swamped with (awesome) Princess Zelda costume plans, but when you get a breather I bet a collection of Triforce earrings would be snapped out of an Etsy shop faster than you can say “Ocarina of Time.”
Nicki would like you to read…Snark of Righteousness- Spellcheck of DoomMy Profile

30 Boobies September 29, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Already a follower but dropping in from FMBT to visit!

LOVED these pics…the sky is so blue! Looks like it came right out of a magazine!

31 Debby September 29, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Yes she will look awesome as Princess Zelda. The Corn Festival looks like it was fun and so nice that it didn’t rain.
Debby would like you to read…MEET ME ON MONDAYMy Profile

32 Rachele October 5, 2010 at 8:58 am

I want to climb on those hay bales. Looks like fun. I found this http://www.miccostumes.com/product/3854/The_Legend_of_Zelda_Princess_Zelda_Cosplay_Costume.html but it’s not as cool as the one you have pictured and it +$100.

Love the earrings. How crafty you are.

We have a seafood festival this weekend so I’m hoping the weather stays rain free.
Rachele would like you to read…Random is as Random doesIts TuesdayMy Profile

33 Michael Woods November 19, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I admire your blog , it has of lot of information. You just got a perennial visitor of this site!

34 Joanna Arter November 25, 2010 at 6:27 am

I admire your blog , it has of lot of information. You just got one perennial visitor of this blog!

{ 2 trackbacks }